Beat the Summer Heat


The Philippines, being a tropical country, has only two "seasons": 1.) super wet rainy with a chance of typhoons and 2.) unbelievably hot, eyeball-melting dry spells. There's none of those fancy springs and winters for us Southeast Asians, so when April rolls around and the kids are let out of school for the summer, everyone starts scrambling for different ways to cool themselves.


I'd like to hit the beach at least once before the rain brigade returns, but for now I'll settle for ice cream at Ice Giants Desserts & Snacks.


Ice Giants specializes on ice cream-related delights such as sundaes and halo-halo, although they have pasta and sandwiches on the menu as well. They also have these gigantic seven-kilogram buckets of ice cream and ice that they literally call "Ice Giants". Offered in three flavours (mango, chocolate, and halo-halo), the Ice Giants are best eaten with a big group of friends... or if you're capable of devouring all seven kilos of dessert on your own, I'm not going to judge.

Ice Giants is the closest to Drupers that Davao will ever have so it made sense that today's tour guide is Hase-chan.
As far as I know, Ice Giants has three locations in Davao. The main branch is at Damosa Gateway, while the other two are at Ecoland and near Gaisano Mall. We usually go to the Ecoland branch (it's across Annipie!) but since they haven't had the crisscut fries available since forever, we thought of visiting the other branches to see if they have them.

Spoilers: they don't. None of the branches do anymore.

Peach Mango Sundae and Ube Macapuno Cobbler


My favourite part of eating the Peach Mango Sundae is actually the syrup at the bottom. I shouldn't like it because it's far too sweet, and yet here we are.


After dessert, we ate this weird roll thing at a Japanese restaurant in the same complex. I think Tsuru has other branches but the only one I'm familiar with is the one at Abreeza.



  
Hase-chan waits with some hot tea.

I liked it, although the weird goopy thing on top was spicy. It was good but too spicy. I'm pretty sure it's just me and my unfortunate spicy food intolerance, although perhaps eating something spicy isn't exactly the recommended strategy for beating the summer heat...


I would have gotten more if I didn't just have lunch and ice cream. Going to restaurants like this is probably best if one has enough space for some ramen. I didn't regret anything though, so I guess today was a success.


Ice Giants Desserts and Snacks & Tsuru Japanese Restaurant and Sushi Bar
Damosa Gateway, Mamay Road, Lanang, Davao City

April M.

No comments:

Post a Comment