Make Art With Love: Inktober!


InkTober is a drawing challenge for artists all over the world that involves creating one ink drawing every day for the entire month of October. Since my inking skills are really lacking, I've decided to take on the challenge this year in an attempt to improve.

In my quest for a very light gray marker for shading and a black marker for filling big areas, I discovered that Scribe Writing Essentials actually sells similar products as Stickerrific. They seem to have a bigger selection of calligraphy inks, though, and a few other things I didn't see at Stickerrific. Since they have a branch that's more easily accessible to me, I felt my wallet tremble in fear.


This generic drawing paper from the Daiso at Avenue K in KL.

I was planning on getting gray Letraset Tria Promarkers, which has brush tips, but the Fully Booked at Eastwood didn't have the Trias, just the regular Promarkers. Kuretake's Brushables and Clean Color are around the same price range as the Promarkers so I decided on trying them out.

A photo posted by nozaku (@galacticlycoris) on


The Brushables has two tips, one in Pure Black and the other in a slightly lighter shade. The ink is waterproof and apparently lightfast, and so the pen itself is more expensive than the Clean Color, which is waterbased. Clean Color in Mid Gray turned out a lot darker than its bottom cap would suggest and much darker than what I wanted (the pen was wrapped in plastic so I couldn't test it before buying). Unfortunately, I don't know if either are blendable. I now use the Brushables for filling large areas, while I have yet to use the Clean Color for something more extensive than Kaworu's shirt.

A photo posted by nozaku (@galacticlycoris) on

Would I buy them again? I want to! But I can't justify doing so because markers are a whole new medium to spend more money on, which I cannot afford. For now I'd like to focus my efforts on watercolors and just make use of drawing challenges like InkTober for inking practice.

In other news: Before InkTober caught me by surprise, I had the chance to drop by Deovir at SM North Edsa to grab a few tubes of Holbein watercolors. They sadly didn't have Opera available; however, the tubes I managed to snag are absolutely gorgeous. Horizon Blue has been my crush for a while now and it did not disappoint one bit!

The palette pictured here is from the Daiso in Pavilion at KL.

The price for each tube depends on the color. Some are a bit more expensive, but the ones I got are PHP115, which is cheaper than I expected. I'd like to pick up some pastel colors next time.

Deovir, by the way, is a much better place to pick up art supplies than Fully Booked or National Bookstore. They have a wider range of material available and their paints (at least the watercolors) are cheaper than at Fully Booked in Greenbelt, as far as I can tell.

I'm currently doing InkTober and posting my works on my Instagram. Maybe I'll even scan some and post them on Pixiv at the end of the challenge!

April M.

No comments:

Post a Comment