What's in My (Travel) Bag?


Perhaps for a normal unknown civilian like me, a "What's in My Bag" feels like I'm just showing off to the void. After all, nobody really wants to know, right? But I've enjoyed looking at people's posts about the stuff in their bags ever since I discovered that it was a thing, because everyone's bag is different and that makes every single post very interesting! Making a post myself seems like a fun thing to do, and anyway I hope someone out there will find my bag interesting too.

The bag I carry on normal days differ and they're usually the smallest bag I can cram my stuff into. I tend to bring a lot of unnecessary things even if it's just a quick trip to the mall, but in the past few years I've been trying to learn to cut out what I can. The thing is that it's a lot harder to do when I have to bring a camera because it takes up a lot of space, leaving not much room for everything else. And I have a lot of everything else.

My travel buddies!

I recently got a Pacsafe backpack, which is actually not a proper camera bag. This bag is just the right size to fit my camera and whatever else I feel I should bring, but it's still small enough that I'm forced to not take too many things with me. For safety reasons, I didn't want something that would instantly tell strangers I'm carrying a camera, and the security hooks help me worry less about the zippers. I still reach behind me to check them occasionally as per my habit, but at least it's not as bad as before. Of course, Pacsafe bags, or any bags with "anti-theft" features, are NOT completely theft proof so always have your guard up anyway!

Not in the picture is my passport, which, of course, I bring with me when I go out of the country.


  1. DSLR camera - bigger and heavier than my previous one.
  2. red 3DS - a present from very dear friends! Though it has a silicon case, I keep it in a pink pouch I crocheted myself for extra protection. The cartridge on the 3DS is almost always Animal Crossing: New Leaf, while the slots inside the pouch holds Bravely Default and Pokemon Y. I also have a digital copy of Fantasy Life.
  3. various personal items - medicine, mask, facial tissue, makeup, and other vanity things. I used to carry them in a makeup bag, but it was too bulky to cram into this backpack so I decided to do away with the extra bag and instead dedicate the front pocket for most of these things.
  4. pen case - holds my pencil and pens, waterbrushes, Finetec gold and silver watercolors, and even the Winsor & Newton Sketcher's Pocket Box from this post, making this one of the heavier items I carry with me. The UNIQLO square is a freebie thumb drive.
  5. phone, earphones, Moleskine watercolour sketchbook - Since acquiring a postcard size Maruman sketchbook, I've been bringing it more often than the Moleskine, partly because it's smaller and lighter. All of my Inktober drawings are on the Maruman.
  6. wallet - from one of my mom's friends. Don't be fooled by its bulky appearance. I don't actually have any money! It has a compartment for coins, that's why it's a lot bulkier than I prefer, but since the contents of my bag are arranged inside in a specific Tetris-like order, it's size and shape is important to this layout.
  7. beanie, eye mask - The mask is not perfect at blocking out light, but I'm not comfortable with being completely blind when traveling anyway. I actually don't use it much because I get too disoriented. I use the beanie as a sleeve thing for the camera, although I suppose I can use it for its intended purpose too if I wanted. It's reversible!
  8. notebook - I recently purchased this for an upcoming trip so I can take notes for myself and for the blog. While I have a lot of blank notebooks and planners, none of them were the right size. This is the best I can do since I'm too lazy for proper journaling!
  9. camera accessories - memory cards, remote, and battery. When the camera is not in use, I always take out the battery. Even if I keep the battery in the same bag as the camera, I've left the battery of my old camera at home more than once because of changing between bags. Hopefully now that I have a "camera bag" I'm satisfied with, this won't happen again!
  10. train cards - The one with the Christmas tree is an EZ-Link card for Singapore I got on our family trip around two years ago. I got to use it this year. The other card is the new Beep card for the LRT in Manila.
On either side of the bag are pockets that are just the right size for a small foldable umbrella or a water bottle so I stick one in there too sometimes.

The Maruman sketchbook on top of the Moleskine.
By the way, the Maruman is not a watercolour sketchbooknot even one of those fancy Artist Medallion or Vifart thingsbut if you don't mind a little warping, the paper is thick enough that it's possible to paint on both sides. Markers may stain if not allowed to dry completely before closing the book. The only thing that showed through was my Sharpie Ultra Fine Point. Other than that, it meets my needs so I'm really pleased with it. Too bad they're rather expensive and I haven't seen them sold anywhere locally!

I use only one side so I can rip out a page if I wanted to.

I admire people who can travel very light. It's not even that I use all of these things all the time when I'm out and about, and yet I still feel the need to bring every single one "just in case". Someday I hope to get better at this! Most importantly, I hope I get lots more opportunities to test and practice my packing skills.

What do you bring in your bag? :)

April M.

No comments:

Post a Comment