Gudetama Café


For lunch on my birthday this year, we ate at the Gudetama Café in Suntec City in Singapore! My mom and I went wearing matching Gudetama shirts from Uniqlo, which we bought before I found out that the cafe existed. I swear it wasn't part of the original plan!

I thought the Hello Kitty Café in BGC was extra, but it was nothing compared to the decor in the Gudetama Café. Everything was in the likeness of everyone's favourite lazy egg. And it was glorious.

My mom wanted to sit at one of the egg booths but when we walked in, the only empty booth was reserved. We ended up sitting at a corner, which wasn't too bad because then I had a pretty good view of the entire dining if I turned around from my chair.





I'm not sure about Gudetama's popularity in my country, but unlike Hello Kitty, Gudetama isn't a Sanrio character that the older members of my family are familiar with. My mother had no idea what Gudetama was and probably still does not understand the appeal. Even so, this misanthropic egg with crippling depression is definitely my favourite--truly among the most relatable characters in Sanrio's lineup, along with Aggretsuko.

As expected, literally everything on the menu has Gudetama's likeness on it in some shape or form. The drinks were served in glass bottles that had the iconic face on it and with straws that those paper decoration things, and both dishes we ordered had eggs with Gudetama's face. Regardless of the quality of the food (which, for the record, I also quite enjoyed), what you're really paying for in this cafe is the character and it was an experience I'm thankful I got to have at least once in this cursed timeline.






Unfortunately, I completely forgot to take a photo of their cake display case outside! I don't know why! I must have been too overwhelmed. They had only a few cakes on display and we brought two back to our hotel to eat later, but there was a pudding of sorts that was shaped like an egg that I wasn't able to take a photo of. The lady who served us said people normally buy that one for photos. I didn't choose it because I wanted Actual Cake.

While I do not regret my choice, the cakes we did end up taking back with us were not at all sweet. The mangoes were too sour for me, but the mousse was good and my mom liked that they weren't sweet. They were too small...... I wish they were bigger!



It turns out that the booth was reserved by a family celebrating a birthday. When we were walking out after our meal, they played the birthday song and they may have served the celebrant a cake? I wasn't really paying attention but my mother was upset that I wasn't making a big deal out of my birthday. First of all, I found out about the cafe until probably the day before. Secondly, I did not know that we could have placed a reservation. And even if I had known, I still wouldn't mention that it was my birthday! I don't enjoy broadcasting my birthday to strangers!

(Also, it used to really annoy me whenever I got greetings from people through Facebook even long after I stopped using it because I know they only knew it was my birthday because that stupid website reminded them. It's too obviously insincere. People I haven't spoken to in years suddenly pop up to leave a greeting and then never speak to me again, at least until next year. Eventually I figured out you can hide your birthday on your profile, so that solved the problem!)


Honestly I'd have been perfectly content just sleeping on my bed in my room at home on my birthday. It's just any other day, right? There are 7.6 billion people in the world today and I'm just one of the millions born on that specific day. It doesn't make any difference whether I exist or not. For the rest of the world, it's just another Friday.

So instead of saying it's the best birthday in my entire 28 years of life, I'm gonna say it was an exceptionally good Friday.




Gudetama Café Singapore
#01-361 Suntec City
phone: 6677 6195
email: reservation@gudetamacafe.sg
facebook: @gudetamacafesg

April M.

No comments:

Post a Comment