Tulipmania at Gardens by the Bay


Every year Gardens by the Bay's Flower Dome displays a variety of tulips in an event called Tulipmania. It's my mother's dream to see tulips in real life so when she heard about this and the fact that the event happened to fall around my birthday, she immediately jumped on the opportunity. So if you're wondering if this was my choice of activity for my day of evacuation from the womb, there's your answer.

I did not hate it, though. I've never seen tulips before so it was really interesting to see the different varieties! I didn't know they could grow so big and that there were so many different kinds! I have "black" tulips in my Animal Crossing town and I didn't think those were real, but I saw real tulips that looked exactly like the ones in my game! Unfortunately my photography skills are severely lacking. I wish I was better at taking photos of these things... In the end, most of the photos we took were selfies on my mom's phone.

That's fine! We were there to enjoy ourselves, not to take photos for a blog that nobody reads!









I think the flowers in the dome are much prettier around March, even without the cherry blossoms. April is around the time the prettier ones start dying off so I don't even know what's left for May onwards.

There was some kind of giants theme going on at the tulips area, but I just found the disembodied heads really creepy... I wonder if the theme is the same every year or if they change it annually. I hope they do and that we were just unfortunate to catch this one...
















The original plan was to spend the entire day at Universal Studios Singapore. Although I would have been very happy to go again so soon, it was a Friday, and summer vacation has started in the Philippines, so I figured the place wouldn't be as empty as it was when we went last month. My mother would not have gotten on the Mummy ride with me anyway.

Perhaps it was for the best that we didn't go to USS, since it started raining really hard when we got to the Gardens. I thought a lot about spending the day at the aquarium instead, just sit there watching fish, but we did get to do a few more things we haven't been able to do in our past visits.





I think in the end it was a very fruitful trip, if only extremely tiring. I think travel is best with only a few people, preferably sharing similar interests. My mom and I like very different things, but I think we managed to check boxes on our personal lists and enjoy the trip on our own way. She saw her tulips, I got to eat my lazy egg.

It was a very good weekend.

April M.

No comments:

Post a Comment