Nerd Content Warning: 2017 Art Summary


It's that time of the year again! I don't think I improved much this year either, although I did try a few things that have always intimidated me. So I guess it wasn't a total loss?


This template was by dustbunnythumper on deviantArt. I think I used the same one two years ago. There are fancier templates out there but I think it's best for me to go with something simple this year.

I did a redraw of a piece from last year that I was very proud of. I'm not sure if I did much better. I do think there were very minor improvements! I suppose I'm already at that stage where my skills are plateauing. Doing redraws really help me see where I've gotten better. But I also need to learn to think out of the box and not just literally redraw a piece as it is. I've seen people do redraws where they interpret their old art in a way that matches their current skill level without diverging too far from the original. I want to do something like that!


Something that has always intimidated me so I avoided drawing them were plants. Though I still don't know how to draw them, this year I've made an effort to try to learn drawing flowers! I think they weren't too bad for a first try. I'm really interested in flower language, so I like incorporating it in my writing. To be able to incorporate it into my art would be nice. I hope to keep practicing and eventually get better!


This is the year I got sucked back into Super Hero Time. I think it's more obvious going through my Twitter than looking at my art summary: I quickly moved on from K Project and Nirvana in Fire back to Sunday morning superheroes. In my defense, both of those shows left big holes in my heart. What else was I to do but to try to fill the void with something else that will eventually also leave me hollow inside? It is a vicious cycle, this fandom thing.

After getting tired of the constant fighting about Kamen Rider on my Twitter feed, I decided it wasn't really worth my time staying where I'm not having fun. So I skipped Ghost and went on to enjoy K and dip my toes in C-drama. Then I started hearing good things about Ex-Aid. While I'm not entirely sure what exactly caught my interest at first, I'm pretty sure I started watching it because I knew I had to keep consuming different media to continue producing new art.

I fell so hard. Ex-Aid was a wild ride. Part of me regrets not watching it when it first came out. Part of me is glad that because I didn't do that, I was able to binge watch the first half of the show. I think my livetweeting was entertaining for my followers anyway. It must have been fun to watch me quickly fall into despair.


For a brief period of time I was into Persona 5. I'm still interested, just not as invested in it as I am into other things, I suppose. I only watched Let's Plays of it on Youtube because I don't own the game (nor the console) but I think it's a pretty good one. You can't convince me that Goro and Futaba aren't into SHT. Those two are obvious nerds.

I finished Inktober this year! I didn't post all of my drawings, though. Some of them were really bad and I wasn't able to truly find a satisfactory way to work with sumi ink, which was one of my goals this time. Of course, a month may not be enough for such an experiment so maybe I shouldn't be too hard on myself over this.



Oh, right! I also watched Boku no Hero Academia! It's also one of those things I started watching in an attempt to consume ~fresh~ content. I tend to not watch very popular shows because the hype usually leaves me disappointed, but BnHA was a good decision. I was warned that I'll end up adopting an entire class of new children and I was very skeptical because I didn't like Bakugou at first. In the end there's literally only one child I really dislike and it isn't even Bakugou.

So, what's in store for my creative future? I'd like to draw more flowers and acquire more washi tape so I can make more washi art. Maybe I'll consume more new content, experience more new things, and experiment with more new techniques and styles. I want to keep improving, hopefully in a way that's more immediately apparent...

I might still be making self-indulgent content for Ex-Aid in the beginning of 2018. Although Kyuranger is fun and I'm enjoying Build so far, they haven't been able to match the spark that Ex-Aid lit in me. Who knows? Maybe my next obsessive interest will be Ultraman Orb just because I'm super late to the Juggulus party.

Let's work hard again next year!

April M.

No comments:

Post a Comment