Sakura Matsuri at Gardens by the Bay


It was September three years ago when I first visited the Flower Dome and Cloud Forest. While there were still some flowers back then, I highly recommend visiting this place during spring. I know we here near the equator technically don't have a typical "spring" season, but there's this controlled environment or whatever science-y magic they pull off around here, so all the flowers are in bloom and there's a crapton of orchids in display! They're apparently award winning or something.

We took the train to Bayfront station and walked through the passageway to reach the Gardens. There's a shuttle you can take to the conservatories for $3, or if you don't mind walking and have downloaded a map you can probably just walk. If you're only there for the Supertrees, the bridge connecting Marina Bay Sands to the Gardens is only a few steps away from the shuttles. You can reach the grove from there.








The biggest difference, of course, is the flowers. There's a lot more of them this time. There were lots of orchids on display where they used to have the plants made out of Legos. I think the orchids won awards because there were ribbons and stuff. I didn't really read the descriptions

The Lego plants were moved to the garden at the very top. I guess they looked kinda nice in there. Honestly I wasn't very fond of the Lego plants in the first place. They were neat, as all things made out of Legos are, but I came here to see real plants.

I recommend bringing a really warm jacket if you're the type to get cold easily. We actually didn't get to explore the area in the Flower Dome with the succulents because I spent too much time taking photos at the cherry blossoms area that my companions were already too cold and wanted to leave.







Every year around late March to early April, Gardens by the Bay has this Sakura festival of some sort. I actually forgot about this and only remembered when we were already in Singapore and my cousin messaged us about it. I wasn't sure exactly what to expect, but seeing ball jointed dolls in person was definitely not among my expectations! They were dressed in traditional clothes to match the cherry blossoms. I wanted to cry. They were so beautiful.

I've always wanted one ever since I first discovered them. They're very expensive, though. It's not a hobby one can easily pick up. Owning one is more impossible for me than setting foot in Tokyo Disney Sea, so I'll just look at pretty pictures. I'm really glad I got to see some in person, though!













If cherry blossoms are not your thing, consider visiting in late April to early May when they have Tulipmania. I don't know if the displays are exactly the same every year, but the photos from the past years are really pretty! If you like tulips and have never been to the Gardens, that seems like a good time to visit.

After spending an hour or two at the conservatories, we rode the shuttle back to the starting point and went up the bridge to get to The Shoppes. We had lunch at the food court (I liked the food--dont @ me!) but there's still plenty of time to kill until dark when the lights at the grove turns on, so we headed to the ArtScience Museum!

I wasn't able to take a decent photo of the grove at night because Night Photography How. Maybe it would've been easier if I had a tripod with me, although I highly doubt that. Night photography is so hard and it requires patience I absolutely do not have.

April M.

No comments:

Post a Comment