Diary: Singapore Day 4


It's fair to assume that I'm only updating for the sake of updating. That's true, actually. I want to make up for my inactivity last year. I'm not sure what I'll write about when I run out of trips to talk about, but I want to try. At the very least, this year already has more entries than last year.

Technically this was our last full day in Singapore because our flight wasn't until late at night. But we didn't really have anything else in our schedule besides a quick trip to Chinatown to buy souvenirs. We did plan to spend the rest of the day exploring Changi Airport, however we couldn't figure our way around the place. I'm sorry. We're just country bumpkins from a poor country who's never been to a big fancy airport in our lives.

(I'm not joking. I've never flown into and out of Changi Airport before.)



Our flight was in Terminal 4. There's free wifi for three hours, the password for which you can obtain by scanning your passport on any of the scanning terminal things they have at the Arrival and Departure areas. The Departure lounge also have computers you can use to surf the internet if you want.

Riding the train to the airport takes you to Terminal 2 where you have to take the shuttle to Terminal 4 if you need to transfer. You need to take the skytrain if you want to go to Terminal 1 or 3. All terminals have restaurants so you probably won't go hungry wherever you have to be. Even their food courts are really fancy...





I had a lot of fun during this trip. I also realized a few things. For one, while I really enjoyed the places we've been to and I greatly appreciated the wonderful public transportation we got to experience (no matter what grievances locals may have about their trains, their system cannot possibly be worse than ours), I hated being really tired at the end of the day. I hate waiting in line, waiting for the plane, and waiting in the plane, and coming home to a butt ton of laundry.

It frustrates me when I can't tell if my companions are having fun. I feel guilty when I feel like I'm the only one enjoying myself.

There's the quote, "It's the journey, not the destination, that matters." Maybe that's true for other things, but not in this case. No matter how worth it the destination is, I will always really dislike the journey. I don't know how people who do this professionally manage to stay sane. I probably just have really bad stamina. Would it help if I exercised more?





Probably the most interesting thing we did in Changi Airport was the automated immigration and automated boarding thing. You get to use it if you had your fingerprints scanned upon arrival! They don't take the piece of card and stamp on your passport on your way out if you do this, so I was a little weirded out by that. But I looked it up on one of the computer terminals and apparently that's just how it is now. They keep electronic records or something.

I hope nothing goes wrong if I come back, haha.


April M.

No comments:

Post a Comment