Diary: NAMBA ONE


Excuse the pun. I felt like I had to do it! Anyway, you have to admit that Namba, home to Dotonbori and Den-Den Town, is an awesome place for shopaholics and specially the nerds. Maybe not the number one, but it's pretty close, right?



Kadoma-shi Station of the Keihan Line

While the adults went to Kyoto on our second day in Japan, I dragged my brothers to Namba where I went to meet with my friend who showed me the evils of K-BOOKS and was patient enough to walk around with us the whole day even though she had work the next day!

No, I did not get to see Uchida-san, although I did see the book thing with his face on the cover.


Ah, K-BOOKS. This is where I spent too much money on useless pretty boys because fandoms are very dangerous and I have no self control. I will be talking about the stuff I bought on this day and the rest of my Japan loot on a separate post!

My brother playing this weird table flipping game. 




I was embarrassingly nerd-y and tourist-y, but it is my humble opinion that you have no right to judge anyone if you are the type of person who can be caught dead in Den-Den Town.

We also passed by the NMB48 theatre not too far from here.

Part of me wishes I had more than just surface knowledge of NMB48 and the 48 family in general. Part of me is very glad that I know nothing. I don't know if I would have enjoyed my trip more if I was a bigger fan, but I'm pretty sure my wallet would have been emptier!

Right beside the official NMB48 shop is a cute little store called U-Arts. They sell a lot of art materials, from papers to paints to markers and brushes. They also had all sorts of cat-themed things, which I totally forgot when I decided to wear my cat hoodie that day. The lady at the counter happily pointed at it and called it cute!

It took an inhuman amount of willpower not to spend all of my money here. Asuka just laughed at my pain.
Somewhere along the way, we ate at a kaitenzushi restaurant where I discovered an appreciation for Japanese mayonnaise, and my brothers and I showed our true stupid foreigner form.

I just realized that I failed to take pictures of the actual street lined with tons and tons of shops and restaurants, but please trust me when I say you can spend the whole day in that area alone just trying to see everything or shopping your hearts out. There's something for everyone in there, from clothes to shoes to toys and foodwe even walked into an alley lined with shops selling baking and cooking paraphernalia. They're also strangely fond of giant everything in front of shops, so if you've suddenly found yourself surrounded by giant faces, giant hands holding sushi, giant crabs, giant blowfish lanterns, and giant octopuses, then congratulations! You've found yourself in Dotonbori.

Our last stop was Hozen-ji Temple, a strangely quiet place nestled in the middle of a bustling shopping district. There's honestly not much to see there, but it was a nice break from the crowd.




We walked all the way until Shinsaibashi Station. By then my brothers were already too tired and we didn't know where else to go so we decided to head back to where we were staying. I felt bad leaving my friend to walk back to Nankai Namba Station by herself. I hope she at least had as good a time as I did!

April M.

No comments:

Post a Comment