Burgers & Board Games (Encore)


"The more the merrier" is not a philosophy I subscribe to. Being around too many people for an extended period of time is exhausting, even if we share similar interests. But like in a lot of things, there are exceptions! Despite not getting any art done and coming home tired, I didn't regret going out yesterday because I spent the evening playing at a board game cafe with the family.




I've posted about Burger & Board Games before, in an entry that, admittedly, ended up sounding a little too cynical and not much about the place itself. So when presented with the opportunity to post about it again, I didn't think twice about bringing my camera along. (By the way, some of these photos were taken by my cousin. Thanks, kuya!)

This time there's more of us and I actually got to eat one of their burgers. I think the food is decent. For the price, I've honestly tasted better burger, but it's not bad! Though I probably used a lot of tissues because it's pretty messy to eat. I also tried their Oreo milkshake, which was good, though I think they need bigger straws for that drink because the Oreo bits kept blocking the narrow straw.





The games that Burger & Board Games offer are mostly family friendly, easily enjoyed even by children. Since we have more people in our group this time, it was difficult to pick games that allowed for more than four people. There is Dixit, which allows six players maximum, except that we had eight people at the end of the day, so the two who couldn't join ended up playing Battleship on their own instead.

Although some like The Resistance or Splendor are a tiny bit more complicated, there are also the more chill stuff like Snakes and Ladders, Uno Stacko, and different variations of Jenga. Their Taboo is Philippine edition but their Monopoly Deal is Hong Kong edition, if I remember correctly (there's still English, just that the currency and the places are not relatable, in case that is an issue for you). I've seen two different versions of the 5 Second Rule, a regular one and another that's more "adult", but many of the questions in it are specific to America so we had to skip quite a lot. They also have Cards Against Humanity, for older groups who aren't playing with their old-fashioned, conservative relatives. Haha!





The place gets busy well into the night and the air conditioning can struggle a bit against the crowd, but it's not that noticeable once you get caught up in your game. My brother says that when he plays The Resistance with his friends, a lot of shouting is involved, and while my family is relatively quiet when we play the same game, a lot of laughing and yelling happens when playing 5 Second Rule and Taboo. I'm not sure if it's just me, the difference in the selection of games or the difference in the size of the place, but Burgers & Board Games is a lot more quiet than Kings and Pawns, which offers what seems to me are more "serious" games.

Of course, it's the company that truly makes a fun night so activities like this in a place like Burgers & Board Games are best experienced with people who are up for anything. Board game cafes are playgrounds full of toys. Even if the playground is neat and fancy, with good food and a friendly atmosphere, it's who you share your toys with that ultimately determines how much fun you're going to have.

As for me, I think it was an evening well spent.




Burgers & Board Games
Damosa Business Center Unit 5,
Damosa Complex, Davao City

Instagram: @bxbph
Facebook: /BxBPH

April M.

No comments:

Post a Comment