A Family That Plays Together


There's a board game cafe that my brother frequents. I cannot because it's far away, I don't drive, and it's not like I have a ton of friends who are ready and able to go any time.





Burgers & Board Games is exactly what it claims to be: a place where you can eat burgers while playing board games. I couldn't eat because I recently had my wisdom tooth taken out, but the burgers smelled really good. As for prices, it's a little more like Manila, but I think with the place being comfortable, the food being pretty good (or so my companions say), and the selection of interesting games to play, I say it's not at all a waste of money.



I think board game cafés are nice. They force people like me to go out and be social, but it's in a setting that's more comfortable than, say, a party that involves people I barely know let alone feel safe with. Presumably when you go to a board game café you are with people who you know are willing to learn to play board games, so even if you don't necessarily share the same interests outside this particular setting, in that moment there is something you can enjoy together. Board games provide a sort of common ground, a comfortable place to be social and enjoy somebody else's company. Sure, some games can end up with friends and family yelling at each other over who's the real spy. But in the end, it's just a game, right? Hopefully you still go home as friends or family.


In any other café or restaurant, social norms would usually have us carry conversations. Not everyone is good with that, though, and there are many topics that can get very uncomfortable. I don't share the same opinion in a lot of things with my family, and there are things that they end up saying that upset me. I'm sure I have said things that offended them as well. As much as I'd like to have a proper, adult discussion about these things, I am not eloquent enough to explain my opinions in a way that everyone will understand. Besides, who wants a debate on religion over lunch in Pizza Hut?



Socializing, especially with family, is mostly unavoidable, so even if I utterly suck at board games, I think they are a pretty good alternative to having to sit uncomfortably in a family reunion full of people who seem to "know" me yet I have absolutely no memory of. Call it an escape, sure. A cowardly way of facing real life interactions, if you will. But if you're gonna end up yelling at each other, it might as well be over the full set property worth 8M that you stole from your mother and made everyone pay rent for in Monopoly.




Burgers & Board Games
Damosa Business Center Unit 5,
Damosa Complex, Davao City

Instagram: @bxbph
Facebook: /BxBPH

April M.

No comments:

Post a Comment